Here are some sobering statistics that healthcare institutions of all sizes should consider:
- According to a report from Health IT Security, ransomware attacks against healthcare institutions grew by a staggering 350 percent during the last quarter of 2019. This trend appears to be continuing through 2020.
- “Medjacking”, or medical device hijacking, is demonstrated by the security flaw that researchers discovered in General Electric respirators and anesthesia machines. This vulnerability, which the US Department of Homeland Security says is easily exploitable, has yet to be corrected by GE.
- In March 2019, an employee of the Montpellier University Medical Center opened an email containing a virus that went on to infect more than 600 computers.
- In December, 2019, two separate ransomware attacks in less than one week took two providers offline for several days — one in New Jersey and one in Hawaii.
Data breaches cost the health care industry approximately $5.6 billion every year, according to Becker’s Hospital Review. The Protenus 2020 Breach Barometer Report found that in 2019 there were 572 incidents in healthcare institutions, affecting more than 41 million patient records, with a 49% jump in reported hacking incidents. According to Verizon’s 2020 Data Breach Investigations Report, financially motivated criminal groups continue to target this industry via ransomware attacks. Lost and stolen assets also remain a problem in our incident dataset. Basic human error is alive and well in this vertical. Misdelivery grabbed the top spot among Error action types.
The Valander Group can help.
A Vulnerability Assessment is the “first phase” of a Penetration Test in many ways but has a few key differences. Its intended purpose is to identify vulnerabilities and weaknesses in the security perimeter of your healthcare organization and its assets. Using a multi-tiered approach, our consultants identify vulnerabilities by combining hardware and software-based tools, applications, and manual investigations.
To ensure confidentiality, integrity, and availability of your resources, vulnerability, and penetration testing is a must. If you do not know your systems’ weaknesses, bad actors can and will find them, and your world will change in the blink of an eye. A Penetration Test determines the efficacy of an organization’s security controls. Our experts simulate a comprehensive “real world” scenario, emulating the methods and attacks a malicious party would attempt against an organization.
Data Management (ETL)
Decisions without proper information can lead to catastrophe in the blink of an eye. Data Extract Data is the lifeblood of your institution. Having the ability to work with data quickly, efficiently, and securely can mean the difference between success and failure. Data Transform SQL Server, Access, MySQL, JSON, XML, CSV, or any other form of data is in our wheelhouse. Data Load Having data is not enough; analyzing the data is essential. Knowing what massive amounts of data is telling you will help your bottom line and ensure well-informed decisions are made.
Cloud Infrastructure We are AWS experts.
- Cloud computing is faster, less expensive, and more secure. Deploy resources in minutes rather than weeks. Take advantage of servers across the globe to ensure uptime and minimize opportunity loss.
- Allow your employees to work from home easily and effectively.
- Easily set up a disaster recovery plan that includes worldwide resources.
- Allow Valander to monitor your AWS network to ensure confidentiality, availability, and integrity.
- Cloud computing is easier, cheaper, more secure, and faster than onsite or local data centers. Allow us to show you how.
People are your company’s number one security concern. One insecure password, one successful phishing attack or one successful social engineering attack can take down your entire network. The Valander Group will train your employees to avoid these mistakes and ensure your company is in the best possible position for success.
To contact us, please complete the form below. (Note: we never share or rent our lists, and you can easily unsubscribe at any time.)